The William Fletcher tertiary grants for talented young artists
The William Fletcher Trust (now the William Fletcher Foundation) was established in 1985 to celebrate the life and to commemorate the work of William Fletcher whose straitened circumstances, ill health and early death cut short his developing talents. In 1988, the Trust awarded its first grants for study to tertiary students of the visual arts. The William Fletcher Trust was incorporated in 2006 as William Fletcher Foundation following a generous bequest. Since 1988, grants totalling over $300,000 have been distributed to over 400 highly talented students of the visual arts, to assist them to continue their studies.
You are eligible as a student to apply for a grant if...
- you are an Australian citizen; AND
- you are enrolled in final year (Year 3 of a pass degree, or Year 4 of an honours degree) at one of the eligible institutions (see below); AND
- you comply with the conditions of study in final year; AND
- your major study includes at least one of the following five disciplines: painting; drawing; printmaking; illustration; stage design (set and costume); AND
- you apply for a William Fletcher Foundation (WFF) Grant by 30 April 2014.
1. Either photography or computer generated art may be one of your majors, but neither in its own right is an eligible discipline for this Grant, although either may be included as a minor element of a work (eg, a collage) submitted for assessment.
2. Neither an Honours student who has already won a WFF Grant in Year 3, nor one enrolled in a master’s or doctoral course, is eligible.
The following 7 institutions have opted in to the William Fletcher Foundation grant process for 2014:
• College of Fine Arts (UNSW) • National Art School • National Institute of Dramatic Art • Sydney College of the Arts (USyd) • Southern Cross University • University of Newcastle (Fine Art and Design/Illustration disciplines) • University of Wollongong
In each institution, the Head of School has nominated a member of staff to be the Contact person who will help you, if necessary. See below.
Download an application form
(38 KB Microsoft Word doc)
Download Tertiary grants information sheet (119 KB PDF)
Nominate in which one of your majors you are applying for a grant: painting; drawing; printmaking; illustration; stage & costume design.
Give evidence of both:
- Financial or other hardship – answer the relevant parts of the Application Form
- Achievement – supply photocopies of academic transcripts for two most recent years and a PowerPoint document showing two recent works, suitably labelled
Send the completed application form and transcript photocopies by 30 April 2014:
- by email to email@example.com OR
- by ordinary mail to:
WFF, PO Box 172, Lane Cove NSW 1595
Send a PowerPoint document with 2 examples of your recent work by email.
- Talent in your nominated discipline, as evidenced by your PowerPoint document and by studio work assessed on-campus
- Academic achievement
All information supplied is considered in the strictest confidence.
After determination of awards
- The Secretary advises you by mid-year of the result of your application
- The Secretary sends cheques and receipt list to your Contact at that time
- The Contact distributes cheque to each grantee
- Each grantee signs the receipt list, which is witnessed by the contact (this receipt is required by our auditors)
- Certificates of Grant are presented later in the year at a suitable occasion on campus
|National Art School||John Bloomfield, Co-ordinator, Undergraduates|
|National Institute of Dramatic Art||Carson Andreas, Lecturer, Design
Elizabeth Nicoll, Development
|Southern Cross University||John Smith, Senior Lecturer|
|University of Newcastle||Fine Art:
Dr Andre Brodyk, Lecturer, Fine Art
Natural History Illustration:
Dr Trevor Weekes, Senior Lecturer/Convenor NHI
|University of New South Wales (College of Fine Arts)||(Name pending)
Sally Marwood, Development
|University of Sydney (Sydney College of the Arts)||Andrew Lavery, Associate Dean
Marah Weston, Scholarships
|University of Wollongong||(Name pending)|